Saturday, September 7, 2013

Cleaning Makeup Brushes

Here is how I clean my makeup brushes:

I grab a small plastic cup and add enough warm water so I can submerge the bristles of the brushes.  I add just a small amount of kids shampoo and stir with my finger until I have some nice suds.

I take my brushes and dip them in the water and smoosh them against the bottom of the cup so I can make sure I get the whole brush clean and not just the outer sides. 

I rinse the brush under the faucet in cold water.  Make sure you get all the soap out of the brush. 

Once rinsed I squeeze the remaining water out of the bristles and I shape the brush back into it's original form and lay on a clean dry towel to dry.

I empty the water from the cup and start the process all over again with the next brush. 

I have read that you are only supposed to wet the bristles of the brush and not wet the metal part since that will loosen the glue that holds the bristles.  I have tried that and honestly it never works.  I always end up getting the metal part wet at some point.  So far I haven't had any issues with my bristles falling out. 

Keep in mind when you wash your brushes it will take them a day or so to dry.  I usually wash mine on a Saturday that way I have the whole weekend to let them dry completely.  I also have a couple of backup makeup brushes that I can use just in case.  It never hurts to be prepared! 

I usually wash my brushes once or twice a month and in between washing them I use a makeup brush cleaner spray. 



I picked up this daily brush cleaner spray at Sephora for around $6. 

After you apply your makeup spray 2-3 times on your brush and then wipe on a lint free towel.  I just use a paper towel and then leave my brushes out to dry for the rest of the day.  Usually they are dry by the time I get home from work or if I do this at night they will be dry by the next morning.

There are all kinds of makeup cleaning shampoo made specifically for makeup brushes but I have always used my son's shampoo.  It is gentle and I feel like it gets my brushes clean so I've never really seen the need to buy any of those products. 

I hope this helps any of you out there and if you have any questions please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment