Saturday, October 5, 2013

Benefit Sun Beam Review

A few posts back I mentioned I went to Sephora and picked up a sample of Benefit's blush Coralista that also came with a sample of their highlighter Sun Beam.



This highlighter has a bronze sun kissed glow much different than their highlighter Watts Up.



I can see a need to have both of these highlighters.  Sun Beam would be perfect for summer time when you want to have that sun kissed glow when your skin is a little tanner.  It has a really beautiful bronzy shimmer but it's very subtle.  I put it at the top of my cheeks and blend it in with my fingers for a natural glow.  I probably won't be using it as much when the weather gets colder and if I do it will be a very small amount.  It's just not realistic to have a sun kissed glow in the middle of winter.  But that's just me.  If you love it then rock it.

I have really fallen in love with Watts Up and that has been my go to highlighter ever since I got the mini in my birthday kit from Sephora.  Before that I never used a highlighter on my face other than a shimmery eye shadow under my brows.  I have been doing research on the web and have come to discover the benefits of using a highlighter so I have made it a staple in my daily make up routine. 

No matter what highlighter I'm using I always apply it to the same areas.  I like putting it right on top of my cheeks above my blush and I blend it into my temples.  I also put some on the cupid's bow of my lip and right below my brow.  If you have never used a highlighter right under your brow, step away from the computer and go try it.  It makes a huge difference.  You will never go without again.

If you research some of the beauty blogs they will give you all kinds of ideas on how and where to apply highlighter.  On Youtube you can find loads of tutorials that can be helpful with this as well.  One blogger I follow that I have gotten several make up tips from is Cara from Maskcara.com.  She has a beauty blog as well as a Youtube channel.  I suggest you check out her site for more tricks and tips because the things she can do with make up is AMAZING. 

Wow, so I really got off subject from actually reviewing the highlighter. 

I don't know if the full size Sun Beam comes with the nail polish brush or not but the mini one does and I would have to say I'm not a fan of it.  I don't really like putting the highlighter on with that little brush and it feels weird.  It feels like I'm painting my face but once you blend the product in you can't feel it.  It does blend really well and it is very pretty.

Once my mini sample is used up I probably will not buy the full sized one.  I have pale skin so I feel like the Watts Up highlighter is a better option for me.  I feel like Sun Beam would be perfect for someone who has tan to darker skin tones.  I find that if I use products that are more bronzy it looks fake on me so I have to be careful.  I want my make up to look as natural as possible.

If you want to try out this highlighter or any others I suggest going to Sephora.  They are always more than happy to provide me with samples of products and I've never had an issue when I needed to return a product even if I used it.

I hope you enjoyed reading my review and that it was helpful even if I did get off subject.  (I tend to do that a lot)  

Until next time!

1 comment:

  1. This is funny because I also had a small sample of Benefit's Sun Beam and I loved it so I just bought the full size this week! But I agree with what you are saying about not being able to use this in the winter... I was thinking I could pull off Sun Beam for probably another month and then I'd have to switch to something less bronzy but I had no idea what. I'm going to try Watts Up after your recommendation. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete